In accordance with the provisions of article 17 of the Organic Law 2/2006, of May 3, on Education, in the Community of Castilla y Leon, the primary education stage will contribute to develop in the students the capacities that will allow them to:
- Know and appreciate the values and rules of coexistence, learn to act in accordance with them, prepare for the active and critical exercise of citizenship and respect human rights, as well as the pluralism of a democratic society.
- To develop habits of individual and team work, effort and responsibility in the study, as well as attitudes of self-confidence, critical sense, personal initiative, curiosity, interest and creativity in learning, and entrepreneurial spirit.
- To acquire skills for the prevention and peaceful resolution of conflicts, which will allow them to develop with autonomy in the family and domestic environment, as well as in the social groups with which they relate.
- To know, understand and respect different cultures and the differences between people, equal rights and opportunities for men and women and non-discrimination of people with disabilities.
- Know and use the Spanish language appropriately and develop reading habits.
- Acquire in at least one foreign language the basic communicative competence that will allow them to express and understand simple messages and cope in everyday situations.
- To develop basic mathematical skills and begin to solve problems that require the performance of elementary calculation operations, geometric knowledge and estimation, as well as to be able to apply them to everyday life situations.
- To know the fundamental aspects of Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Geography, History and Culture.
- To be initiated in the use, for learning, of the Information and Communication Technologies, developing a critical spirit before the messages they receive and elaborate.
- To use different representations and artistic expressions and to initiate in the construction of visual and audiovisual proposals.
- Value hygiene and health, accept one’s own body and that of others, respect differences and use physical education and sport as a means to promote personal and social development.
- Know and value the animals closest to human beings and adopt modes of behavior that favor their care.
- To develop their affective capacities in all areas of their personality and in their relationships with others, as well as an attitude against violence, prejudices of any kind and sexist stereotypes.
- To promote road safety education and respectful attitudes that have an impact on the prevention of traffic accidents.
In addition, primary education will contribute to develop in students the ability to know and value the natural, artistic and cultural heritage of Castilla y León, with an attitude of interest and respect that contributes to its conservation and improvement.